Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rain

I was walking with Sreeerlupa and the sky became green, the birds went crazy and a gust of wind took my breath away. Then the rain came. Sreeelupa started to sing an old Indian song about the first rain. Her voice lifted up and dipped down in the back of her throat. It was beautiful but like all Bengali music seemed full of gravity and sadness to me. "Our hearts are having a drink" she sang. "They were shriveled from the heat and the sun and are now refreshed ready to beat again." I was invited to a wedding! Shrubutu's (a man in my lab) sister will be having a very traditional Bengali wedding in July. I have to buy a Saree! I worked non-stop until 8:30 pm in lab last night. I never realized how much I value my independence. Where I say when I work, eat, where I play. Even waiting for Michael to pack up to leave--he is so slow (just kidding Michael...not really.) It seems nothing is on my terms. I went home and sauteed garlic, mushrooms and store bought sauce and made pasta. I only have one pot so this took awhile. My first non-Indian-street-food in 3 weeks! I now have Internet at home again. The whole world looks brighter and I can breathe easy again. That's sick. My pictures are crappy. I wish my eyes were shutters so I can capture the craziness.



1 comment:

  1. Oh Chelsea ! my dreams are coming true! It think you might love India so much that you will end up living there and having little Indian babies and I can come to visit you alot, I love India!

    ReplyDelete