Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I hate putting titles

When the landlord was taking us to our new apartment Michael and I were walking close to him as he explained how if we turned off one AC we had to wait 3 minutes before turning it on again...or powercut. We were nodding and replying and he turned to Michael and says "and you tell her" referring to me. I burst out laughing. Ok let me try to explain what it is my lab does: Vibrio Cholerae is the bacteria responsible for cholera. It binds to crustaceans and their chitin by using Chitin-binding proteins. It is also used to bind to the mucus lining in the intestines. These chitin binding proteins are activated under certain pH, temperature, salinity, nutrition etc. We are studying the promotors of these proteins by amplifying the DNA and fusing it to FOA to see the expression of FOA under different circumstances. The idea being, if we can see when and under what conditions the chitin binding proteins are promoted we may be able to control cholera outbreaks by changing the enviornment of the lakes/rivers/wells they come from. Or we could get these people some clean water. Is what I'm saying. Yesterday morning a man (sent by the leaser so he's legit...I think) came to wash our clothes. I was so suprised and ecstatic I gave him all of my clothes! All of them... When I told Moumita (which is how you spell it apparantly) she told everyone else annnd--they cracked up. I feel like Lucy from I Love Lucy. So she took me shopping at Big Bazaar. When we're walking in the street Moumita (who is only 2 years older than me and looks younger) takes my hand and says "It'll be like you're one of my sisters" and leads me around the speeding cars. In the Bazaar she was all business. Getting me 3 beautiful indian shirts, 2 gorgeous Salwars (look it up), and pair of jeans (I'm the only American that didn't think to bring jeans. "They don't wear jeans in India!" they do. A lot.) The jeans were hemmed for free right there! After we went to the mall next door. I LIVE NEXT TO A MALL! With coffee! and ice cream! and a movie theater! Oh em gee. I'm so excited about this. It'll be the perfect place to get away by myself besides sitting on the side of the road in the cow poop. The food has become an issue. In the canteen where I eat lunch it's fine. Its usually just rice, and dal and vegetables and maybe a piece of fish or an egg. I mean it's nothing much but I like it. But at dinner, around where we live, its all fried fast food. The marketplaces have lots of vegetables which look so delicious and good but i'm afraid to eat. Should I be? I mean raw? I think I can cook them now (see paragraph below). When we got home (which we are always a little afraid to do in case there is someone there telling us we can't live there anymore), there were little presents for us. A clock (or a watch as my leaser calls it), a mattress topper thing to make the bed less like cement, a microwave!!!, a mirror (the leaser wanted me to have this so much and kept saying "where do you want me to hang it, do you like it?"), a trash can, laundry basket, desk lamp and a few plastic plates and bowls. It was beautiful. The leaser came shortly after and explained it all to us. In great depth. It makes me so happy. I've decided to take the little small windowless room and Michael will pay more for the bigger one. I kind of like the smaller room. It has this very churchlike window into the kitchen, that makes the whole thing look like a monastary little living quarters. That's what I'm pretending.

1 comment:

  1. Changing the environment the cholera comes from sounds dangerous to any other wildlife in the lake. When people do that here with chemicals to kill excess algae (try unsuccessfully to "solve" eutrophication that way), it kills off some species and the algae comes back anyways. I wonder if changing the pH or anything of the water body would leave behind a new strain of cholera that can handle the new conditions. I'm with you on the idea that just getting people access to clean water is far more preferable and fail-proof!

    ReplyDelete